Kentucky presents coronavirus surveillance plan for back to school

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) – In response to calls for more autonomy for school administrators, Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear unveiled new coronavirus guidelines for the reopening on Monday.

The Democratic governor also announced 342 new cases and five more deaths, although the number is expected to rise later in the week due to notification delays. Bluegrass State now has a total of 57,282 cases and more than 1,000 deaths.

According to an emergency declaration signed by the governor on Monday, all public and private schools from kindergarten to grade 12 will be required to submit data on coronaviruses. The data will then be reflected in a publicly accessible school district-wide dashboard, as well as a color-coded state map.

Kentucky Public Health Commissioner Dr Steven Stack insisted the system will help school administrators more easily determine the level of spread in their communities.

K-12 schools in green or yellow areas, for example, could call to send students home for virtual education if their county’s positivity rate exceeds 6%. Schools in counties classified as red or orange would be encouraged to stop teaching in person, Governor Beshear urged.

“If you are in the red, it is not responsible for doing face-to-face learning every day,” he said. “We have a greater responsibility towards our students.

Last week, twenty-five counties reported positivity rates of 10% or more.

The positivity rate is an indicator of the extent of the virus’s spread, according to the World Health Organization. If the rate is below 5% for two weeks and testing is generalized, the virus is considered to be under control. As of Monday, the total positivity rate was 4.17% statewide.

This information would allow school districts to make their own recommendations based on local conditions in their area, Beshear said. He previously recommended that schools wait until September 28 to resume in-person classes in early August.

“There will be no further recommendation from my office after September 28 regarding in-person or virtual classes,” he said.

For most people, the coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms that go away within a few weeks. But for others, especially the elderly and people with existing health problems, the virus can cause severe symptoms and be fatal. The vast majority of people recover.

___

Follow AP coverage of the virus outbreak at https://apnews.com/VirusOutbreak and https://apnews.com/UnderstandingtheOutbreak.


Source link

Netizens Criticize PNP Over Social Media Monitoring Plan

MANILA, Philippines – Filipino netizens have been continuously rating the Philippine National Police (PNP) for days since Police Lt. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, head of the government’s COVID Shield Joint Task Force, said on Saturday they would monitor the Filipino social media posts looking for quarantine violations.

Most agreed that instead of violating people’s privacy, police should first punish police officers who have already been caught blatantly breaking the quarantine rules that Eleazar seems very keen to enforce. .

Netizens cited Metro Manila’s police chief as an example. General Debold Sinas and dozens of police officers who were pictured partying without masks and celebrating without physical distancing on his 55th birthday in May.

Their photos were uploaded to the National Capital Region Police Bureau’s Facebook page, but were later deleted.

Sinas, who was not removed from his post despite the violations, faces criminal charges before the Taguig prosecutor’s office for violating quarantine rules along with 18 other senior police officers.

But Eleazar argued his proposal would not lead to privacy breaches and instead empower people.

“We will make sure that we do not abuse anyone and if there is [would] will be abuse, they will have to answer us, ”Eleazar said in a television interview, without saying what he did to hold Sinas and his men accountable.

“Contrary to what others think it will be abused, it is the other way around. You will have the option to report information. And just like what I said, the PNP leadership will not tolerate any abuse. If there is any abuse, let us know, ”he added.

He assured the public that no one would be arrested on the sole basis of his social media posts.

“We need more evidence, like corroborations and witnesses, so that we can pursue the case,” he said.

“There is due process and we will follow due process, and what we do, just report anything that you believe is a violation of your rights and we will act accordingly,” he added.

For more information on the novel coronavirus, click here.

What you need to know about the Coronavirus.

For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our first healthcare and always accepts cash donations to be deposited into Banco de Oro (BDO) checking account # 007960018860 or to donate through PayMaya using this connect .

Read more

Don’t miss the latest news and information.

To subscribe to REQUEST MORE to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and over 70 other titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download from 4 a.m. and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For comments, complaints or inquiries, Contact us.



Source link